11/27/2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

As you all are fully aware, last Thursday was Thanksgiving and I hope you all had a great day!  Mine was pretty packed and I feel like I got a lot accomplished considering it's the holiday that most people spend sitting on their butts eating all day!  


We started the morning with the Fast & the Furriest 5K Turkey Trot that supports the local humane society.  If you've been following me since the beginning you may remember that last year this was my very first 5K!  Looking at those pictures makes me feel a whole lot better about my lack of motivation lately, I've definitely come a long way!  Anyway, just like last year, it was freezing!  The building where registration is held blocks the sun at that time of morning so we were all standing in the shade waiting to get our numbers.
The line was super long, I guess they weren't anticipating such a big turnout!  The start time actually got pushed back almost a 1/2 hour so that they could get everyone registered.  As soon as we had our numbers we found a spot in the sun and entertained ourselves taking photos.
It was Rob's first time actually running a 5K!  Can you believe it?  After all the races he's come to, taken pictures at & cheered us on, this was his first time actually running.  It was a good thing my mom came to cheer us on so I could saddle her with my camera & his photographer duties.  Apparently while we were all busting our butts Shaggy & Kyah were enjoying some time on the beach.
It was definitely not one of my better races.  I rolled my ankle right off the start line and wasn't sure I'd be able to run at all.  Luckily I was able to shake it off but I just couldn't get my body into a good rhythm the whole time.  I was trying to push for a sub 30 minute race by increasing my breathing but that backfired and I ended up wheezing and panting the whole way back.  I don't have any more races booked until April so maybe I can get my speed up by then...


The worst part of the entire event was that there was a line to enter the chute!  When I finally got to the finish I had to stop and wait in line to have my time taken which means that my official time is going to be much longer then when I actually finished.  I have never seen anything like it.  If they don't fix all of their organizational issues I have a feeling they're going to lose a lot of people next year.
After the race had our 2nd annual after run breakfast at Towne & Country.  I ordered egg whites, ham, tomato and cheese on a kaiser roll.
On the way home I asked Joe if he was excited to decorate the house for the holidays after dinner and was met with a less then enthusiastic response.  Apparently the piles of my too big clothing in our computer room were bothering him and he didn't want to bring more things out of the attic when there was already so much crap laying around.  I can't blame him.  The issue is that I don't go into that room very often and I'm very much an out of sight out of mind kind of girl.  Once Joe voiced his frustrations I was more then happy to clean it all up.  Although he probably wished he hadn't said anything when he saw the amount of stuff that needed to be put in the attic!
Once I had finished boxing up all my crap it was time to get down to business.  We offered to bring the mashed potatoes to Joe's parent's house for dinner and we were running out of time to make them.  Thankfully a lot of blogs have been featuring healthy versions of Thanksgiving favorites so we had a bunch of great recipes to choose from.  We went with the skinny garlic mashed potatoes from SkinnyCrockPot.com.
Once the potatoes were ready and we were cleaned up it was time to head to Joe's parent's house.  We enjoyed a couple of appetizers and watched Janey's wedding slide show while we waited for the turkey to finish cooking.
Before long it was time for dinner.  We had a small group this year, only 7 people, but it was nice because everyone was part of every conversation.  I was also extremely proud of myself because I didn't go overboard, I only tried about a 1/2 cup of everything including our delicious mashed potatoes and didn't go back for seconds.  The potatoes turned out really great so I'm excited to make this my go to recipe.
I also made my rice cooker cake for dessert which was a big hit and we somehow managed to get home without any!  I don't mind taking turkey leftovers but dessert is just too tempting.
I had plans to meet Shana & Kelli for some black Friday shopping at midnight so I tried to take a little nap on the couch when we got home from dinner.  I am not a good napper so I think I managed maybe a half hour of sleep before it was time to hit the road.  We met up outside Target at 11:30pm and were probably a solid 100 yards from the front door.
As we waited for the doors to open at midnight the staff came around with Luna Energy Bars in chocolate peppermint.  We were all still full from our Thanksgiving dinners so we packed them away for later and did our best to stay warm.
1. 1000 fitness minutes - 5K = 32 minutes; 690 minutes total
2. 10,000 steps per day - 14310; 11 days total
3. 500 calorie burn - 564 breakfast + 0 lunch + 1257 dinner + 95 snacks = 1916 - 2424 = -508; 14 days total
4. 2 classes per week (or 10 total) at the LifeCenter - nope; 5 classes total
5. Geocache 3x - nope; 2 trips
6. 30 minutes of cleaning a day - yes!; 13 days total
7. Dinner & a movie date night 3x - no; 3 total - goal complete
8. Try one new food a week (or 4 total) - nope; 2 total

No comments:

Post a Comment