11/14/2011

a 5K, geocaching and sushi, oh my!

Get ready for a picture heavy post!  I think the upload said 35 images!

I started my Sunday with a 5K.  Well, that's not true, I actually started it by brushing my teeth, getting my running gear together and eating a bowl of oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter and sliced bananas, lol.  Angela sent the sign up page for this 5K to me a month or so ago because she was planning to run in memory of her grandmother who fought lung cancer twice.
I sent an email out to all my regular running buddies and shockingly Nicole said she was interested in doing it in memory of her father.  I was super excited that she was ready to try her first race!  Nicole's sister-in-law (Maria) and her husband (Matt) signed on as well when they heard Nicole was going to give it a go.
 It was fun to have a decent size crew running!  We all met up at the registration desk around 9am and joked around for a little while taking pictures before heading to the start line.
I forget how lucky I am to live in a place where I can run with scenery like this:
Maria offered to push Jack in the stroller so Nicole would be free to concentrate on her run.  She was also trying out running with a stroller because she and Matt plan to have kids in the near future and she's not planning on giving her her daily 3 mile run.
It must have been the first year for this race because things were a little confusing.  No one seemed to know where the start line was and we walked back and forth a few times trying to get to where we needed to be.  Once that was all sorted out it was time to go!
The race started off really well.  Angela & I ran with Nicole and we were holding about an 11 minute per mile pace.  The weather was great, the sun was shining and we all commented that this could be a great run.
We were trudging along chatting but around mile 1 Nicole fell back a little.  Angela and I continued on and only stopped for a second to walk through the water station at the half way point.  I was so thirsty, I really need to hydrate better before races.  We were also running against the wind on the way back and it was tough.  I mean like 25mph winds in our faces the entire 1.5 miles back.  As we were fighting our way to the finish line we saw Maria up ahead.  That didn't make any sense because Maria is much faster then we are.  As we got closer I ran up next to her and commented on the wind and she agreed that it was torture and said the stroller was the worst part, it weighed a ton.  Now, that didn't make any sense to me, I run with the stroller all the time and it's never hard to push.  I offered to take over and as I started to push the stroller was like a ton of bricks. The wind was pushing it back against me!  I could barely walk much less run with it.  I don't know how Maria got as far as she did.  After a block or so of watching me struggle Angela grabbed one side of the handle and together we could push it at a decent speed.  We finished the last 1/2 mile of the race running side by side with the stroller between us.
Angela and I came in at just over 34 minutes.  Definitely not my best 5K finish time but not too bad either when all things are considered.  I grabbed a bottle of water, took a few deep breaths and walked over to the entrance of the track to wait for Nicole to come around the final turn.  It didn't take long to before we saw her, I pointed her out to Jack and told him to get ready to cheer as she came around.
We all waited at the finish and cheered as she came through the chute.
Finishing your first race is always so exciting!  Especially when you've got such a cute little guy ready to congratulate you at the finish line.
We headed inside for snacks, the 50/50 raffle and award ceremony.  Jack was having a great time wandering around eating oranges and playing with other kids.  After one too many "where's Jack" moments I popped him on my shoulders.  He was pretty riled up from all the excitement and started pulling on my face!
After a while everyone started to get restless waiting for the announcements.  Then I heard someone say the times were posted on the wall by the door.  We headed over to check out our times and learned that none of us had placed so we headed for home.
Turns out my garmin somehow turned itself back on after the race so it added some more time and distance.  I blacked out the extra and tried to do the math and figure out the rest so you'll have to forgive me if they're a little off.
My mom and I had plans to cache in the afternoon so I gave her a call and let her know I'd be ready to go once I got cleaned up.  A little over an hour later she was honking the horn out front and we were off.  Before we hit our first cache I needed something to eat.  We decided to stop at Red Robin, my mom loves a good burger.  Because Joe and I had plans to meet friends for an all you can eat sushi dinner I was trying to go easy on the calories.  I looked through the calorie info in my phone and finally landed on ordering a Simply Grilled Chicken Sandwich.  It was pretty tasty but nothing exciting.
Now that we were full of food it was time for some caching.  We headed to a local movie theater and wandered around the side of the building for a while waiting for everyone to go inside.  The cache was hidden on top of one of the display cases and there was no way my mom was going to reach it.  I jumped up and down a bunch of times and finally made the grab.
We headed around the corner to another cache but we weren't as lucky this time.  We searched for probably 15 minutes before giving up and heading for something easier.  Our next stop was another local movie theater.  We found that cache quickly.
We made a few more easy grabs and then I got hit with a killer migraine.  I've noticed it happens almost every time I run a race.  I think it's because I get too dehydrated.  I took an imitrex and we stopped at Starbucks where I got a bottle of water and a skinny cinnamon dolce latte in hopes of either rehydrating or killing the pounding with caffeine.  Nothing helped and soon I was starting to feel nauseous.  After spending about an hour laying down in the car while my mom drove and cached I asked her to take me home.
As soon as I got in the house I took another imitrex, grabbed a bottle of water and headed upstairs to lay in bed in the dark.  I was keeping my fingers crossed that I'd feel better in time for our dinner reservation.  Luckily it only took about a half an hour and I was back to normal.  I swear imitrex is a wonder drug!  This is only the third time in a few years I've had to take more then one pill to cure my headache.  I stayed in bed another hour just to be safe then got myself together in time for Joe to pick me up for dinner.  We met Shana & Bill and Kat & Mark at Ginza for all you eat.
For $22.95 per person you get to order as much as you like of any item on the 2 page menu they give out.  There are soups, salads, appetizers, sushi, sashimi, rolls, hibatchi dinners, pretty much anything you can think of is part of the deal.  The potions are smaller then they normally are but you can order as much as you want so it works out.  We ordered a lot of food!  These pictures are just a sampling of what they brought out for us.
edamame and pork dumplings
pad thai and assorted sashimi
lots and lots of different kinds of rolls
and of course dessert, chocolate ice cream and fried bananas
We had a great night hanging out with good friends.  We even spent some time talking about our upcoming vacation with Kat & Mark, it's going to be so much fun!  We've never been on vacation with anyone but my family before!  

After dinner we went home and Joe watched the Flyers while finishing up the bottle of wine from dinner and I went upstairs to bed.  It had been a long day and I was ready to pass out.
1. 1000 fitness minutes - 5K = 34 minutes; 459 minutes total
2. 10,000 steps per day - 12038; 8 days total
3. 500 calorie burn - 340 breakfast + 550 lunch + 897 dinner + 90 snacks = 1877 - 2232 = -355; 8 days total
4. 2 classes per week (or 10 total) at the LifeCenter - nope; 3 classes total
5. Geocache 3x - yep; 2 trips
6. 30 minutes of cleaning a day - I didn't spend enough time at home to clean...; 8 days total
7. Dinner & a movie date night 3x - nope; 1 total
8. Try one new food a week (or 4 total) - not today; 1 total

No comments:

Post a Comment