12/02/2011

What I Ate Wednesday

On Monday after the gym I went for a walk with Nicole and stopped at the new Subway across the street from our house for dinner.  I've always been a little eh about Subway, I've had a couple mediocre sandwiches there before but decided to give it another shot.  I'm so glad I did!  I had a 6" turkey & black forest ham on herb cheese bread with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and red wine vinegar.  It was so yummy and with the apple chips only came to 415 calories.

On Tuesday I tried a recipe I've been meaning to tackle for a while now, Bacon, Roasted Squash & Goat Cheese Pasta (385 calories).  It took a lot longer to make then I had anticipated but was definitely worth the wait.  I told Joe that from now on we will only be buying the pre-peeled/cut squash because the roasting and scooping was torture!  I substituted turkey bacon and I think it made it a little drier but I'm still loving the leftovers!


 In an attempt to knock out more of the Flavia packets in our closet I made myself a cup of hot chocolate as a snack.  I added these adorable little french vanilla flavored snowmen marshmallows that I picked up at ShopRite.  I may have to make it part of my daily routine since those packets aren't disappearing as quickly as I'd like. 

On Wednesday we met my Dad, Judy, Shana & Bill at Fogo de Chao in Philadelphia for dinner to celebrate my dad's 65th birthday.  I had never been to a brazilian steak house before and it was definitely an experience.  When you are seated at the table they explain that everything is all you can eat.  There is no menu, first you visit the salad bar and when you're ready for the main course you flip your card from red to green (you can see the card in the picture of my dad below).  So we all hit the salad bar, Bill & Joe reminded us not to fill up because the best was yet to come.
Once we had had our fill of the salad bar we flipped our cards.  It was crazy!  These "meat men" descend on your table with all kinds of different meats.  They tell you what kind of meat they have & ask how you would like it cooked.  For example in the picture below the man (dressed like a pirate) said to Shana, "top sirloin" she responds, "yes please, medium" then he slices off a piece for her and moves on to the next person with their card on green.
They came at us fast & furious, I couldn't keep up and switched back to red quickly.  After trying all but one of the cuts I had to give up.  I was so full I literally could not breathe!  I never eat huge meals anymore and it's hard to gauge how much you're actually eating when they're giving you small portions at different times.  Bill kept switching Shana's card back to green when she wasn't looking, it was hilarious how she jumped every time another "meat man" showed up.
We all shared a molten chocolate cake for dessert but couldn't stomach more then a bite or two.  It was a great night, lots of fun, but I don't think I could go there more then once or twice a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment