3/14/2012

I broke my hip!

There's only 3 more days until my first big race of the season, the St Patty's Day 10 miler in Margate!  The only problem was the longest run I had done was 6 miles of intervals on the treadmill.  Which is why at 9am this past Sunday, Angela, Kat & I headed out for an 8 mile run. My thoughts are, if I can do 8 then 10 is totally doable.  It was a little chilly when we left the house but we were warmed up in no time and the sun was out to keep us that way.  I really had a great run! I only took 2 walk breaks and they were at miles 3 and 6 to suck back a GU packet.  I was really proud of myself, and then I hit 7.9 miles.  

We were about a 1/2 mile from the house finishing up and as I came across the street something happened to my hip.  I have no idea what, it just started hurting, badly.  I didn't roll my ankle or trip, nothing popped, it literally just started hurting like nothing I've ever felt before.  I tried to run through it like I do any other ache but it wouldn't go away.  I started to walk but got mad at myself and pushed to run through the end.  The minute my watch beeped that I was finished I stopped, right in the middle of the road.  Kat & Angela were about 1/2 a block ahead of me and turned around to ask if I was ok.  When I told them what was going on we tried a couple of hip stretches but nothing helped.
We still a 0.40 mile walk home...all I could do was walk about 1/2 a block then stop and try to stretch again, it was excruciating!  As we were walking in the front door my phone rang, it was Joe telling me he was on his way home from work super early (someone had too many drinks the night before).  Kat headed home pretty shortly thereafter but Angela hung out until Joe got home.  I had been playing it cool and telling the girls I would be fine and not to worry but the minute Angela closed the front door and it was just me & Joe, I burst into tears.  It hurt so badly, I literally could not move anything from my waist down without this horrible pain.  Joe helped me get upstairs and out of my clothes so I could shower.  Once I was clean he propped me up in bed and we watched TV for a while but it didn't get any better.  Every time I shifted my weight or tried to sit up it hurt.  

Eventually we started to get hungry so Joe half carried me downstairs and deposited me on the couch then went to get some lunch.  While he was gone I hobbled into the kitchen and took 3 Aleve then hobbled back to the couch.  We had yummy chinese food for lunch and watched some more TV.  At some point I had to pee and when I went to get up it didn't hurt anymore, it was tight but there was no more terrible pain, it was a miracle!  I still made sure to take it easy the rest of the day but it was so nice to be able to move again!

My favorite part of the entire day was looking out the front door at 6:30pm and seeing that the sun was still out! Gotta love day light savings!
Since Joe and I were both home we took the opportunity to take care of some things around the house.  We took down all the winter decorations that were left.  Now that it's practically 70 degrees every day it didn't make sense to have snowmen hanging out around the living room.

We also put up the bud vases we picked up at the Philadelphia Flower Show the previous weekend.  Aren't they cute?  I'm super excited for all the plants in the yard to start blooming!


It took hours for us to get hungry again after our delicious chinese lunch.  Finally around 8pm we wandered into the kitchen and foraged around for something to call dinner. I made myself a ham, egg & laughing cow sandwich on an english muffin with an apple and a glass of Trop 50.  I love breakfast for dinner!
I still have no idea what happened to me on that run.  On Monday I went for a walk with Lorie & Nicole and everything felt normal.  On Tuesday I went for a bike ride and I'm still fine. The real test is tonight, Joe & I are planning an easy 2 mile run.  Hopefully everything is fine and I'll be able to run the race on Saturday...
 
1. 10,000 steps for at least 20 days.  20474, 9 days total.
2. Exercise at least 20 times.  8 mile run, 6 days total.
3. Eat out less then 20 times.  chinese lunch, 1 meal out, 8 meals total.
4. Put laundry away as soon as I fold it.  No laundry done.
5. Book at least 4 Thirty-One parties for April.  I might have another show in line, just waiting on the girl to let me know what date (fingers crossed), 1 show total.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! It still sounds like the thing I used to get all the time. Let's hope it never happens again!!! Glad you are all better!
    ~Ang

    ReplyDelete