10/01/2012

Day 1: Self-portrait

I'm pretty excited for this photography challenge, I'm really hoping it gets me back to blogging everyday!

Here's the first prompt, a self portrait.  It doesn't get any more current then this one, I took it this morning.  My first inclination was to talk about what I don't like about this picture, my hair mid grow out and what not.  But then I realized that's not healthy, I need to stop being so hard on myself.  

Take for example our long run yesterday, Joe & I were supposed to do 12 miles in preparation for the 1/2 marathon.  We decided to run on the Atlantic City boardwalk because that's where the race will be.  We mapped out that the boardwalk is 5.75 miles long so we'd need to add in another .50 mile somewhere along the way but other then that it would be smooth sailing.   

I started out strong, I felt good, I made those first 4 miles my bitch but then I started to lose steam, my hip was bothering me, then my knee and finally my foot.  I managed to keep from taking for a walk break until we hit the 6 mile mark but after that I just could not get my mojo back.  
I know a lot of the issues were in my head (but the 3 blisters on my toes are real!).  The end of the boardwalk was closed so we didn't even make 5 miles when we had to turn around, this meant we'd need more then mile added in.  When I realized that I just could not make it happen all I kept thinking was that I'd never make it.  Instead of pushing through the doubt, I gave up.  At one point I apologized to Joe for ruining the experience for him, he's already running at a slower pace to stay with me and now I couldn't even run the whole way.  I was SO down on myself.  Lucky for me, Joe is fabulous and told me it wasn't a big deal, we'd try again next week.  I also have some great supportive people in my life that responded to my pity party of a Facebook status with encouraging words:
I'm still bummed that I didn't get it right the first time.  But I have to keep in mind that it's the furthest distance I've ever attempted and I really didn't prepare correctly, I only did one 6 mile training run that week instead of the two 4s and a 6 I was supposed to do.  So this week, I'm trying again, I am going to do both 4s and the 5 that are on the schedule and we may attempt the 12 again instead of the 9 listed...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment